ABOUT THE SOCIETY:
Quizmaniac BEings started in 2008 with regular sessions being conducted in N-235 Classroom and since then it has grown in size. We aim to change the way people think about quizzing and shed their redundant ideas about it as its questions have come to privilege not just memory but also breadth, deduction and lateral thinking. This new shape was a response to the rise of the internet. By conducting regular open quiz sessions in college create a conducive atmosphere for quizzing. The biggest trick to succeed in a quiz isn’t just knowledge or memorizing facts but the inherent curiosity to find out The Why.
NAME OF PROFESSOR-IN-CHARGE (PIC): Prof. Tamaghna Acharya
SECRETARY: Muppala Sukeerth, 3rd year, UG, Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering
TREASURER: Mohit Singh, 3rd year, UG, Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering
ESTIMATED NUMBER OF STUDENTS ACTIVE IN SOCIETY/CLUB ACTIVITIES: 40
ESTIMATED NUMBER OF STUDENT PARTICIPATION THROUGHOUT THE YEAR (in daily activities, events): 90 -100
EVENT LIST UNDER THE SOCIETY FOR THE YEAR 2019-20:
|S. No.||EVENT NAME||DESCRIPTION|
|A quiz competition exclusively for the first year students of UG & PG.|
|2.||Durga Puja Online Quiz||A week-long quiz conducted over facebook during Durga Puja holidays.|
|3.||Winter Online Quizzing League||A series of 4 quizzes in collaboration with IIT(ISM) Dhanbad.|
|4.||Inter-Hostel Quiz Competition||Organised for the first time; a quiz battle among
the teams from different hostels and halls of our college.
|5.||Alumni Quiz||Conducted by Mr Subho Deep, an alumnus of IIEST Shibpur (CE, 2013).|
|6.||The Quarantined Quiz Series||Eight quizzes spanned over for two weeks were conducted in collaboration
with eight colleges (FMS Delhi, IIT Patna, IIT Madras, IIT BHU, IIT
Dhanbad, Lady Shri Ram College for Women, Presidency University, IIM Calcutta).
|7.||The IIEST Shibpur General Quiz||The IIEST Shibpur General Quiz Conducted as a part of the
Online Quizzing Festival by Dare2Compete for total prize money of Rs 50,000
EVENT WISE WINNERS LIST NAME:
|S. No.||EVENT NAME||WINNER’S DETAILS|
|1. Rishav Chowdhury and Sayan Mitra
2. Rishi and Basam Anwar
3. Saptarshi Chakraborty and Rajarshi Sen
|2.||Durga Puja Online Quiz||1. Rishabh Chandani (IIEST, Shibpur)
2. Sarvesh Dwivedi (IIEST, Shibpur)
|3.||Winter Online Quizzing League||1. Pratik Mishra (FMS, Delhi)
2. Archita Shukla (LNMIIT, Jaipur)
3. Soumya Ranjan Mishra (PMCE, Odisha)
4. Swapnendu Pal (IIEST, Shibpur)
5. Syed Mansoor Ahmed (Osmania University, Hyderabad)
|4.||Inter-Hostel Quiz Competition||1. Kunal Deb Barma and Saurabh Kumar
2. Sougata Das and Aditya Raj Gupta (Hostel-15)
3. Dhritiman Roy and Debasish Majumder (Sen Hall)
|5.||Alumni Quiz||1. Kushagra Agarwal, Nishit Raj, Ritik Agarwal
2. Rishabh Chandani, Aditi Singh
|6.||The Quarantined Quiz Series||1.Aditya Singh (BITS Pilani)
2. R. Gopi Krishnan (SJMSOM, IIT Bombay)
3. Sumantrasarathi Datta (American Express Co.)
GYANDHARA (an annual open quizzing event by Quizmaniac BEings):
Since its inception in 2015, Gyandhara has achieved milestones with its every edition.
To nourish the quizzing culture and promote it at a large scale among the college students or not, i.e. among the school students and professionals as well, Gyandhara was introduced to the quizzers’ reality as the first college organised open quiz festival.
Gyandhara is truly a quizzers’ delight. The avid quizzers across the country eagerly wait for this event and compete with full enthusiasm to prove their mettle.
The last edition of Gyandhara witnessed nation-wide known quizzers, both in the form of quizmasters and participants. Mr. Somnath Chanda, Major Chandrakant Nair, Qilluminati(Mr. Apratim Mukhopadhyay), Mr. Aryapriya Ganguly and Mr. Adityanath Mubayi graced us with their presence and excellent wits in the form of questions by agreeing to be the quizmasters for the previous edition. Gyandhara is also known for its diverse and inclusive nature of quizzes and quizmasters. With most of them conducting quizzes across the nation, no stones are left unturned in making sure that the best quizzes are being presented at the event. Gyandhara witnessed a footfall of over 500 participants across quizzes and segments which is at-par with quiz festivals that are organised by colleges.
Gyandhara provides Quizmaniac BEings as well as IIEST, Shibpur to deepen its roots in the quizzing circuit. With it being established well in the Kolkata Quizzing Circuit and rising in the national circuit, Gyandhara will continue to be a quizzers’ paradise.
LAURELS OF THE STUDENTS OVER THE YEARS TO BE RECOGNIZED: (External and Internal Achievements can also be included):
Internal Achievements :
|S. No.||Name of the competition||Position||Organising institute|
|1.||Prashnavali (INSTRUO 2019)||First , Second||IIEST Shibpur|
|2.||Inquizzitive ( an online quiz during Udbhabani 2019)||First , Second||IIEST Shibpur|
|3.||Abiyantrix 2020||Second||IIEST Shibpur|
|S. No.||Name of the competition||Position||Organising institute|
|2.||Google Miners Quiz||Second||IIT (ISM) Dhanbad|
|3.||Conducted by Quizz Inc.||First||NIT Durgapur|
|4.||Business Quiz||Second||IIT Kharagpur|
|5.||General Quiz||Participation||SPJIMR, Mumbai|
|6.||Tata Crucibles ( by Mr. Avik Debnath)||Second||TATA|
|7.||SBI Yono Quiz||Participation||State Bank of India|
|8.||Inquizzitive Minds||Finalist||Career Launcher|
Approx. Financial Expenditure over the session either by Students’ Activities Fund or Departmental Expenditure or collection:
Students’ Activities Fund: -NIL-
Collection: Rs. 15,000/-
PLANNED ACTIVITIES OF THE SOCIETY FOR FUTURE:
1. Conducting our flagship event – ‘Gyandhara’ in the near future.
Gyandhara was scheduled to be held from 20th- 22nd of March 2020,but due to worsening covid-19 situation it was postponed indefinitely on the 13th March 2020. We plan to conduct in the near future , possibly by the end of this year and try to follow relevant safeguards to conduct it in a proper way as soon as it is possible to do so.
2. Release of our annual newsletter.
3. Procuring a projector/ gaining access to a projector equipped room.
4. Curating a Blog/Website for activities that undertaken by the club.
POINT OF DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE (what unique steps were taken in your society this year):
1. Increased the number of regular sessions conducted in the year. In the Academic Year 2019-2020 conducted an average of 2 open quizzes per month.
2. Unique Quizzing Initiatives: Inter hostel quiz and Quarantined Quiz series.
3. Engaging Students during Holidays in the form of Durga Puja Online Quiz and after the Quarantine was announced also started an Online Quiz Series during that time.
4. Furthered collaboration with other colleges in terms of Online Quizzes including IIT(ISM) Dhanbad for Winter Online Quizzing League and collaborated with FMS Delhi, IIT Patna, IIT Madras, IIT BHU, IIT Dhanbad, Lady Shri Ram College for Women, Presidency University, IIM Calcutta for the first time.
5. Started work on releasing a newsletter with trivia, quiz sets and student articles.
GUIDANCE FOR THE JUNIOR YEARS:
1. To further deepen the roots of quizzing culture in college.
2. Taking exciting initiatives which will develop the interest of quizzing among students.
3. To conduct sessions regularly with quizzes on different genres.
4. To actively participate and organise quizzes during occasions/festivals organised by college.
5. To collaborate with other colleges/companies to organise quizzes.
6. To build informative, noteworthy and exclusive content for the club’s yearly newsletter.
7. To build a better network and reach with the alumni, who were the members of this quizzing society.
8. To regularly update the repository with quiz sets.
9. To motivate students to participate and win in quiz competitions organised across the country.
10. Put efforts to establish Quizmaniac BEings (and thus our college) as a club of national repute.