The Students’ Senate of IIEST Shibpur is the house of representatives of the students of the Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur. It was formed on 20th August 2015 and took the place of the Students’ Union BECSU, which was dissolved in 2009.
The Students’ Senate consists of several student societies relating to academics, culture, and sports. The societies under the students’ senate are:
- Academic Society of Aerospace Engineering and Applied Mechanics,
- Students’ Society of Architecture, town and regional planning,
- Society of Civil Engineers,
- Academic Society of Computer Science and Technology,
- Electrical Engineers’ Society,
- Academic Society of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering,
- Academics Society of Information Technology,
- Society of Mechanical Engineering,
- Academic Society of Metallurgy and Materials Engineering,
- Society of Mining Engineers,
- Earth Sciences,
- Dr. M. N. Dastur School of Materials Science and Engineering,
- School of Community Science and Technology,
- School of Management Science,
- School of Mechatronics and Robotics,
- School of VLSI Technology,
- Center for Healthcare Science and Technology,
- Center for Excellence for Green Energy and Sensor System,
- Catharsis- the Photography Society,
- CodeIIEST- the Coding Society,
- DebSoc- the Debating Society,
- Entrepreneurship Development Cell,
- Euphony- the Music Society,
- Les Thespians- the Dramatics Society,
- LitSoc- the Literary Society,
- Camera-Buff- The Film Society,
- Quiz Maniac BEings- the Quizzing Society,
- Reflexo-Beta- the Dance Society,
- Robodarshan- the Robotics Society,
- Society for Creative Arts and Green Environment (SCAGE)
- Society of Games and Sports.
All students of IIEST Shibpur are by default the members of their departmental academic societies and thereby the member of the Students’ Senate. The membership of other societies viz. the cultural and sports societies are optional and according to the internal regulations of those societies.
The members of each society elect the representatives of the society including a Secretary, an Asst. Secretary(in case of Academic Societies), and a Treasurer. The Secretaries of the societies form the General Council. The members of the General Council elect the General Secretary, the Asst. General Secretary, the Treasurer and the Auditor of the Students’ Senate.
Two professors, nominated by the director, are designated as the President and the Executive President of Students’ Senate respectively. The President, Executive President, General Secretary, Assistant General Secretary and the Treasurer form the Executive Secretariat.
To read the full constitution of the Students’ Senate, click here.