ABOUT THE SOCIETY:
LitSoc, the Literary Society of IIEST Shibpur was established as a sanctuary, a safe haven for all its students, where everyone is free to express themselves. LitSoc aims to provide a platform, to not just creative writers and avid readers, but to all the like-minded individuals to come together and learn the art of expression. The very roots of the Society is in creating an atmosphere of creativity and out-of-the-box thinking through countless successful events with.
NAME OF THE PROFESSOR INCHARGE(PIC) : Prof. Indranath Sinha
SECRETARY: Limmala Ashish, Fourth Year, UG, Department of Mechanical Engineering
NAME OF THE ASSISTANT SECRETARY: Ayush Kulshrestha, Third Year, UG, Department of Mechanical Engineering
NAME OF THE TREASURER : Abhishek Mitra, Third Year, UG, Department of Computer Science and Technology
ESTIMATED NUMBER OF STUDENTS IN SOCIETY/CLUB ACTIVITIES : 41
Estimated number of Student Participation throughout the year (in daily activities, events): 144
EVENT LIST FOR LITSOC (2019-20):
|Event Name||Event Date(s)||Event Description|
|Teacher’s Day Competition||05-09-2019||An online writing competition dedicated
to teachers, aimed to improve the writing
skills of students.
|Hindi Kavi Sammelan||23-09-2019||“Ek Saam Kaviyon Ke Naam”|
|Gandhi – The Journey||17-10-2019||A homage to one of the greatest fighters of
India, Mahatma Gandhi with a theatrical
performance (in collaboration with Les
Thespians, Reflexobeta, Euphony and
|Battle of Bards||9-11-2019,
|A battle to prove one’s literary flair
through three speaking & writing rounds
(in association with Instruo 2019).
|Reminiscence (The Open
|29-12-2019||An Open Mic organized on the Alumni
Day 2019 as a trip down the memory lane
of our Alumni.
|23-01-2020||A test to the creative cells, the slogan
writing competition on ‘Water
Conservation’ was organized in
accordance with the Swachhta Pakhwada
|Content and Digital
|16-02-2020||A workshop on the intricacies of Content
and Digital Marketing (In association
with Scintillations 2020).
|Literary Expo-2020||15-02-2020 &
|The first-ever Book Fair in IIEST, with
each book prized ₹ 100 each.
EVENTWISE WINNERS’ LIST:
|Event Name||Winners List|
|Teacher’s Day Competition||1. Antareepa Dey (CE, Third Year)
2. Shivani Mandava (ME, Second Year)
3. Ankan (CST, First Year)
|Battle of Bards||1. Aditi Singh (ETC, First Year) & Haseena Parveen (ETC, First Year)
2. Ahana Pal (RCC Institute of Information Technology)&
Supratik Chakraborty (RCC Institute of Information Technology)
|Slogan Writing Competition||1. Sarvesh Dubey (ETC, First Year)
2. Shreyanka Saha (ME, Second Year)
3. Shreya Ghosh (ETC, First Year)
LITERARY EXPO: For the first time in IIEST Shibpur, books brought students closer, with the Literary Expo, organized by LitSoc, in association with Scintillations 2020. With over 350 books sold in the duration of two days, despite being organized for the first time ever, the event was one of the most successful events in the history of the club. All the books were made available for sale for ₹ 100 each to encourage students to read and to create a realm of opportunities in the creative and cultural world. The Book Fair was highly appreciated by students, faculties and CEOs who were present during the E-Summit and LitSoc, the Literary Society, looks forward to organizing other such Book Fairs in the future.
LAURELS OF STUDENTS OVER THE YEARS TO BE RECOGNISED (External and Internal Achievements can also be included):
1. Anurag Malakar ( UG batch of 2016)
● One Page Script Writing (Carpe Diem, the Cultural Fest of IIM Calcutta)
● 2016 – First place
● 2017 – Runners up
2. Shivangi Srivatsava ( PG batch of 2017)
● Won the UNMAAD 2020 Gag in the Bag (a comedy event at IIM Bengaluru)
3. Sekhar Chowdhury ( UG batch of 2016)
● His work is being published in a book called ‘Alfaz’ by the Symbiosis Institute Of Business and Management, Pune.
4. Mohammad Faizan Ul Haque (UG 3rd year )
● Was curated for a number of reputed Open Mics
● Dramads theatre group, open mic event at Big Boss Cafe, kolkata on 24th Feb 2020.
● Mehfil open mic in P.K roy memorial college (by youth club)
● Kavi sammelan in hindi pakhwada, in the college.
5. Shubham Aggarwala ( UG Batch of 2017)
● Won an event called ‘ The Time Turner’ a story writing competition.
● One of his poems was published in GNOSIS: An International Journal of English Language and Literature.
● A poem was published in the local Times of India, Jamshedpur.
6. Rohitashwa Chakraborty (UG batch of 2019)
● A story called ‘ Kalboishakhi eshe gache’ was published in the durga pooja special.
Approx. Financial Expenditure over the session either by Students’ Activities Fund or Departmental Expenditure or collection:
Financial expenditure over the session by the student’s activities fund or any other mentioned way is NIL.
PLANNED ACTIVITIES OF THE SOCIETY FOR FUTURE:
Following is the interim plan for activities for the coming academic year.
|MONTH||EVENT||IN ASSOCIATION WITH|
|AUGUST||Club Orientation||A LITSOC exclusive event.|
|SEPTEMBER||1. Online challenge
(Teacher’s Day special, 5 th Sept.)
2. Online challenge
(engineer’s day special,15 th Sept.)
|LITSOC exclusive events.|
|OCTOBER||1. BATTLE OF BARD
2. ONLINE CHALLENGE
|1. LITSOC In associaton with INSTRUO-2020.
2. A LITSOC exclusive event.
|NOVEMBER||1. TENNER 2.0
(first week of the month)
2. Online Challenge.
|A LITSOC exclusive event.|
|DECEMBER||1. Online challenge
(Christmas and New Year Special)
|A LITSOC exclusive event.|
|JANUARY||1. An Essay Writing
Competition on the eve of Sankranthi
(15 th January)
2. Republic Day celebrations
(26 th January)
|LITSOC in association with
|FEBRUARY||1. Online challenge||A LITSOC exclusive event.|
|MARCH||1. Online challenge||A LITSOC exclusive event.|
Point of Difference in Performance:
1. Increased the number of events for maximising the visibility and functioning of the club.
2. Associated and collaborated with other clubs of the institute to allow an overall perspective over the different needs of the students and ensure the development of personality.
3. Successfully held the book fair this year, which was a long time goal for the club since its inception. This endeavour amounted to a spike in the interest of students in different genres of books.
4. Started to make a strong social media presence through an account on ‘Instagram’ to crater for a wide number of enthusiasts. Here we are associated not just with the leading writers of the institute but also have opened the door to many who wish to share the interest among our Alumni and students from other colleges.
5. Unity has always been the motto of the club, but it was strengthened by the addition of new talented, Hard-working members.
Guidance for the junior years:
1. Sessions on personality development and Group discussion for formal interviews (introductory) for the first and second years.
2. Follow up Group Discussions on various current affairs and abstract topics for the third years before their internship interviews.
3. A peek into the life in corporate by alumni and prospects in Higher education within the country and abroad by alumni from IIM calcutta, XLRI jamshedpur.